Friday, April 24, 2009

Don't Let Me Scare You Off Jounalism!




What? No comments? No one has an opinion about anything? C'mon, I am sure you have something to say about something?! Do give it a shot.

Meanwhile, here are two pix of me frightening the students during my recent lecture on journalism at the Kampar campus. I was told I scared them off journalism with my stories on meeting deadlines and all the challenges journalists face and how that messes up their personal lives!

Relax. These are the occupational hazards of the job! Journalists who have been in their profession for long love what they do despite the negatives. They love the adrenaline rush, the heady excitement of being right in the centre of news-making action, access to privy information and the satisfaction of getting to the root of the matter.

If you like a fast-paced, action-packed life and are not afraid of talking to people and getting information from them, you will fit in just nicely. The point is you must know what is expected of you and have the confidence that you can deliver. Then, you are cut out for the job! After some time, you will also be able to find some time and space to enjoy your personal life.

So, to all the budding journalists out there, good luck!
The top picture shows a class rep presenting me with a gift. That was a very thoughtful gesture which I appreciated a lot!

2 comments:

- _ - Brian - _ - BrotherBear - _ - BrotherHusky - _ - said...

I'm gonna have Journalism I next semester~~

I found that what u thought me in foundation could finally be applied in a subject~ *Topic Sentence*

Used it in essay part for CRITICAL READING AND THINKING...

kimi fuan said...

I have been recently approached by a dance magazine company (first of its kind) to contribute as a freelance writer for them! Believe me when I say I felt like a butterfly flying in a beautiful garden full of blooming flowers that day! Writing has always been my passion! And I have always wanted to be a writer! Some way or another!

Growing up in an English-speaking family helped nurtured this. And attending an elite school in Petaling Jaya also helped tremendously to my childhood goal of wanting to become a writer. However, I only started studying English as a proficient language by the time I turned 20! I am way in my 30's now, LOL;) I studied the language locally, at British Council and till this day, I still smile widely to myself whenever I recall how the British English teachers there had their very "unique" ways of making sure we were keeping to their high standards. Safe to say, public humiliation was one of them.

However, everything turned out rather well for me and my good old English-studying days will always be a fond part of my young adult's memories. I want to thank Warrior Rose for having put journalism into such a light perspective in her entry here. I mean, being passionate about studying English meant that I was also very keen to know more about the field of journalism all this while. However, I have only managed to grasp a vague idea of what journalism entails all this while. But having read Warrior Rose's entry here, I now am happy to think that I know a little more about journalism!

Yes, I definitely plan on making my periodic contributions at Warrior Rose's blog as practice board for my budding interest in journalism! Especially since I do not have the guts to start a blog of my own yet...