Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Rush Takes The Song Out Of Christmas!

December is my favourite month. When I was working as a journalist with The Star first and later The SUN, when December came, I would lightfoot into office with a skip in my steps and a carol on my lips. Christmas times a'coming, Christmas times a'coming. Lord, I'm going on leave! (In the actual song, the last line reads as Lord, I'm going home!)

My colleagues would get irritated at my unrestrained happiness because they had to bury their heads in their work and all that stress. But, I, I would be happy because that was when I would go on looonng leave while they held the fort! It was a very fair arrangement because at Chinese New Year, Hari Raya and Deepavali, I held the fort while they went on leave. But, at Christmas, I didn't care who was working as long as I could go on leave! And, so, I would book my leave well in advance.

So, when Christmas came around, I would be in high spirits. Christmas times a'coming, Christmas times a'coming. Lord, I'm going on leave! God bless you merry gentlemen, let nothing you dismay ... ! Invariably, my colleagues would snort and snigger.

"O God, there she goes again. "
"Hey, we are working!"
"O, no! She can't be stopped!"

Do you hear what I hear? Said the little boy to the mighty king. I love December, the Christmas season. I enjoy the preparations, buying gifts for the little relatives and some old ones, too! Putting up the Christmas tree. Sprucing up my house, changing the curtains and cushion covers and adding the little Christmassy touches here and there. A poinsetia plant here. A bunch of flowers over there. Red table decor with fragrant candles.

Those days I used to sing in the Christmas specials my church used to organise. It was hectic but fun planning, practising and rehearsing for the big presentation. Then, on Christmas day, after service we would go off and have a nice meal somewhere.

Sometimes, I would have Christmas lunch or dinner and have friends over. Or, if I got too tired from all the running around, I would take a leisurely drive to my brother's place in Seremban on Christmas day because food would be served at the appropriate times there! And, of course, family would be around.

But, ever since I started teaching, Christmas has become a distressingly hurried affair. I teach during the semester that runs through the season. And, because of the several public holidays we have during this semester, most of the free time is taken doing replacement classes, especially in December. So, I don't have time to do all the things I enjoy doing in the runup to Christmas.

I am so rushed that I can't sing at Christmas anymore!

But, my students made Christmas day memorable. At the stroke of midnight, I got a stream of smses from my students wishing me "A Merry Christmas!" in the last two years I have been teaching.

This semester, however, the schedule got worse! I got a timetable that stresses me out because I have to wake up early and fight through the long morning jam to get to 8am classes on time three to four days a week! I have three 8am sessions one after another -- 8am on Tues, 8.30am on Tues and 8am on Thurs. And, I am not an early riser. I can stay up late but NOT get up early. And, if that wasn't bad enough, three of my replacement classes can only be held at 8am on three Fridays in December! Aaaarggghhh!

To make matters worse, my handbag got snatched on Nov 24 or was it Dec 1? I wasn't hurt. The thief opened the front passenger side door of my car and grabbed my bag. I was parked outside the SP Corner near my campus where I had gone for a cup of tea after a tutorial. Thank God I wasn't hurt.

Losing my bag and all my documents and about RM1,000 worth of digital camera and handphone were not as traumatic as running around replacing my cards and other documents. I finally got all that done and now I hang on to my handbag like dear life! It was emotionally draining.

And, it didn't help to know that some friends whom I had looked forward to seeing I may not see again. I thought by now I would get used to goodbyes. I guess I thought wrong.

I took some time to settle down. Today the schedule eased somewhat. So, I have started to write!

I still haven't finished my Christmas chores. But, I am making the celebrations very simple this year. The house is spruced up, but there will be no entertaining. I will cook a simple dinner for my brother who will be coming down. And, the next day, I will be heading to Seremban where I usually go when I don't have anything on in KL!

So, folks, that was the reason for the delay in updating warriorrose. But, I am back -- minus my camera. So, maybe, you can help me. Perhaps you could get some good pictures on Christmas here in Malaysia and email them to me at marygp23@gmail.com Please send the pix in JPEG files by or on Dec 23 so that I can upload them before Christmas. If you would like to write something about the pictures, feel free to do so. If you are my students, you should have no problems as I did teach you how to write caption stories!

But, of course, I reserve the right to publishing the pictures or the captions! Do, help out! And, looking forward to hearing from you!

4 comments:

Fishie said...

Haha..! Miss you are so cute! I wanted to hear you sing.. haha!!

- _ - Brian - _ - BrotherBear - _ - BrotherHusky - _ - said...

Wish u an early MERRY CHRISTMAS !! I might be busy over the x'mas week~~ so early wishes~~

kimi fuan said...

Heyar there my all-time favourite writer! A very BLESSED CHRISTMAS to you firstly!:)

Have just opened your blog this morning for a quick catch-up, as I too, have been extremely busy this month! Well, I'm happy to say I was NOT DISAPPOINTED at all after a quick browse at your December entries:-) I am definitely going to contribute my two cents about your joyful Christmas spirit later!

But have to log off temporarily now... Till later,dear!:)

kimi fuan said...

I’d like to start this Christmas input of mine by expressing to you what a relief it was to read that SOMEBODY ELSE actually shares the EXACT same sentiment as myself on NOT being an Early-Riser, but can stay late! THAT – has been my long-time sentiment! And it feels wonderful to be affirmed of this!:)

The other thing in your Christmas post was how very warm and all-giving I felt when reading that you, too, share the joyful spirit which runs all over me all over December! Yes, as you probably would know by now, I start getting excited when I read about Christmas year-end sales and see Christmas décor elaborately done up in our malls by the time December rolls around. . . . I enjoy tremendously giving thought to what Christmas present for who, the entire trip to the mall to get it is sheer therapy for my stress level, and of course, getting it all wrapped up and delivering it to the receiver! :-D

You asked for photos. . . . I’m sorry I don’t have any as I do not have a camera (yet!). But I would have surely compiled and given you if I had a camera! By the way, you mentioned you had taught your class how to write caption stories This is absolutely fantastic! Do you mind sharing some pointers with me on this as well ? Many thanks in advance, dear!

For my write-out this time also, I would like to express sincerely how I have benefited from frequenting your blog this year. No, I am not merely trying to butter you up or over-compliment you, my precious Warrior Rose! I wish to merely do justice to goodness when I experience it. Here is my short testimony of how reading your blog has helped me in more ways than one this past year. . . .

So, after receiving word from you that you have started a Blog (something I have also wanted to do for myself for a long time, now!) - - I thought to myself, Now this is one Blog I need to take time out to visit. I mean, I was already aware that your command of the language was exceptional, but after having spent so many months with you on your Blog, I feel I have “gotten to know you a whole lot better!”. Reading your blogs made me understand that more often than not, content is not everything. Even when the content is something simple, it is the writer’s style and personality that brings the piece to life and holds the interest of the reader! Your style comes across as simple, with a strong sense of honesty to it and at the same time, not lacking in humour and wit! The sincerity part is what I like best! As with it, I feel I am on the same page as you.

Even though I rarely have time to read your entries at a speed comfortable enough for me to properly appreciate your writing talent, I am happy that I have managed to digest it well enough to say that my writing has since improved from visiting your Blog!:) I personally feel my style of writing having developed, and it is especially rewarding to know that many of my colleagues and superiors notice it too. Apart from the language and style development, another point I have picked up from you is to write from the heart. My writing used to be somewhat restrained in that I used to “hold back” certain topics, thinking that it either was not “cool enough”, up-to-date or worth mentioning. Today, I see from your Blog, that nothing is too “uncool” or minute to mention. It’s basically how we go about wording it and involving the reader, that counts!