Friday, November 9, 2007

Cross-legged Miracle

On Deepavali (Festival of Lights celebrated by Hindus worldwide) day on Nov 8, something special happened to me. It was early morning, and raining slightly, so I pulled my blanket snugly around me. Now, half awake and enjoying the gentle sounds of rain falling lightly on the roof, I noticed something unusual about my sleeping position. My left leg was comfortably folded under the right.

"What? No pain?" I moved my leg and folded it in different ways. No pain. No pain! For about seven years I couldn't lie on my back and fold my left leg horizontally because it hurt. Neither could I sit cross-legged. So, I always lay on my right side, with right leg folded and my left leg stretched over it and never sat cross-legged. But, now, I could fold left and right leg in that position and there was no pain, and I could sit cross-legged!

What amazed me was that I didn't pray for healing of my left leg! And, I told no one about the problem for them to pray for healing or advise me on how to get it right!

I think, the body just adjusted itself -- albeit after seven or so years, and, maybe, with the help of the exercises I was doing. I have not been doing anything different except to cycle in the air and do sit-ups about three times a week. And, that must have somehow got the "unworking" parts working again!

Like your car. You have to whack it around occasionally so that those out-of-place pieces can fall back into sync. You know, like we all do when once in a while we thump or kick the car here and there, and then see it behaving itself again?! With the human body, we should whack it with, perhaps, exercise, and then see how the body adjusts itself!

But beyond doing the practical to make things work, I see something else: the truth that human reality is primed for miracles. The potential for miracles is all around us. It is inbuilt in our world, I believe. We don't know how it works, but once in a while, something triggers (faith to those of us who believe) the inbuilt mechanism and overnight, unexpectedly, inexplicably something happens to lighten our burdens. Many of us can attest to these things. And the skeptics can call it whatever they want.

For me? Halleluyah! It is a miracle!

No comments: