Thursday, November 1, 2007

Birthday Girl!

Last Saturday, my good friend and colleague, Swagata, added one more year to her life. I knew it was her birthday and was planning to do something for her. But, I forgot -- put it down to age! But, Cy See, my other colleague, who sits in the cubicle adjoining mine, didn't forget and being the good friend he is, made it a point to remind me, "Hey! Your good friend's brithday is tomorrow!"

Then, I rushed and got this cute little tiramisu cake and surprised her with it the following day. Swagata, who loves sweet stuff and delicacies, cooed over it! I am glad you liked it, Swagata!

It is funny how people come into my life at the right time. I am not a very people-person -- although I love good company -- and have just a small group of friends. And although they live in different places of the world, we stay friends forever! These are people who enter my life at crucial periods, and then stay on. Swagata is one of them.

I got to know her, thanks to See! When I first joined UTAR (Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman - a private university in Malaysia), I met See and somehow he saw through my forbidding demeanor and spoke well of me to his friends, who eventually became my friends. Among them was Swagata, with whom I had more things to share because of our common love for books. And, we clicked.

These friendships made adjusting to a new environment like UTAR's much easier. But, over and beyond that, I think it was a time when I needed someone to connect with, and, Swagata filled in the space. Connections: That is what makes people so precious - when you can connect with them. It is always the start of something new and enriching.
So Swagata, I hope this new year in your life will be the beginning of something you will cherish for the rest of your life!

By the way, Swagata has a sister who is an up-and-coming artist who lives in New Delhi -- and she has her own blog. Do visit her blog at http://sanchozone.blogspot.com/ and catch a glimpse of her art pieces. They are lovely, and reveal both the Indian and Malaysian influences in her life.

No comments: