Friday, February 1, 2008

Loss is not Lost

Loss is something I am very familiar with. In the last two decades, I have lost everyone close to me in one way or another. You have no choice but to cope with it. But, I think I lost something human along the way of coping with death and separation. Somehow, in the coping, without realising it -- perhaps, it's an involuntary defence mechanism -- at the back of your head somewhere, you relate as if you won't get hurt if the other party leaves. You always leave that option open -- that person may opt out for one reason or another. And, I learnt never to close that door. So, if someone wants to leave, he or she is free .... .
It is a good way to cope but not a great way to live! If you lose someone here, it does not mean that you will lose another there. It is something I am consciously learning to believe. Some things I have to let go. With other things, I am learning to open and close the door of my options. With people who enter my life, I now close the door after them -- to let them know that the door is not open for them to leave anytime! If I leave the door open, they may think that I want them to leave!

But, if -- despite closing the door -- they want to leave, I will open the door for them. Now, at least, they are leaving because they want to, not because they think I want them to.

It is a strange psychology of social relations. But social deprivation can do strange things to you.

Why am I writing about this? Because I see loss all around me. And, I see people becoming lost from all the loss. And I think it is not right for the living to be so lost. We won't be living any more. I think we need to keep on opening the door and closing after those who enter -- and take the risk that they may want out sometime. We live when we take the risk. And, I think that's all that matters: That we live, and live to the fullest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow!It's impressive.I really agree what u said.Great metaphor between Leave and DoorEspecially the part of,Quotes:"But, if -- despite closing the door -- they want to leave, I will open the door for them. Now, at least, they are leaving because they want to, not because they think I want them to."
Ya.Friendship like a flower.It's fragile and change time to time.The flower will grow if you contribute more cares but yet not too much cause it will dehydrated if too much fertilizer.Instead,the little flower will rotten if the water is over the normal consumption.Of course, the little flower turned wilt if totally no cares and water.SO, things i would like to reply is,Quotes"Life's like cookies"..and yet the friendship is included in our life.So,I really agree with you.Open the door for them if they really want to leave but yet to let them misunderstand the DOOR meaning.HAha