Monday, October 1, 2007

The suit against God

Firstly, I got carried away with my first blog. So, it was long. But everything else is going to be short!

Recently, I got tickled by a little story I read in the newspapers. This US senator from Omaha, Nebraska, Ernie Chambers -- a self-proclaimed agnostic -- filed a suit against God for making "terroristic threats against him and his constituents, inspired fear and caused 'widespread death, destruction and terrorisation of millions upon millions of Earth's inhabitants'." Senator Chambers was seeking a permanent injunction against God

So funny, this man. For an agnostic, he surely spends quite a bit of time, energy and resources on God! Do agnostics do this? I thought agnostics were honest people who don't know if there is a God, and not knowing they don't waste their time or effort on something they don't know anything about.

But agnostic Senator Chambers is riled up about God. Now, what does that say about an agnostic? His actions prove what his thoughts can't. He is an agnostic but he bothers to talk about God. Of course, he is making a mockery of God -- if there were one. But, in doing so, he is, in fact, keeping alive the possibility that God exists, or, at least, could -- that is a far cry from an agnostic position!

So, I want to thank Senator Chambers for keeping alive the discussion on the existence of God! I think, God may be quite pleased with him, really. Who knows, one of these days, God may actually peep in on him, and say, "Hello!" But, if I read Senator Chambers right, he would probably look at him, blink blindly and say, "So, what are you doing here? Don't you know? I don't believe you exist. Get out of my window, you are ruining my view!"

Hilarious! What is as funny is the response to Senator Chamber's lawsuit. Two filings were sent in response to the lawsuit arguing that God is immune from earthly laws and that the courts lack jurisdiction over God. Suits and counter suits over God! What a laugh! And, what a great way to dissipate the tension over an extremely sensitive subject! I must compliment the Americans for playing along with Senator Chambers and doing it so correctly and rationally!

If something like that were to happen in a developing country, there would be an immediate religious riot, or an edict would have been sent all around the world to assassinate the guileless Senator Chambers! But, no, in this case, there was no violence, no fights and no bitter animosity. There was just an Almighty dose of tolerance!

Something to learn from!

3 comments:

M.Xi said...

Yey~! I'm the first person to comment ~!
Keep this blog up because I got a feeling I'll be visiting it quite often ~XD

Unknown said...

I've just started reading CS Lewis' "Screwtape Letters" and I just couldn't help thinking how Ernie Chambers has fallen right into the welcoming arms of Screwtape and gang. Funnily enough, Screwtape and gang often shoot themselves in the foot, just as Chambers did (and Dan Brown of course, through the Da Vinci Code). The more they tried to de-sensitise man's awareness of God, the more man turned to look for God. Each time the likes of Chambers, Brown and Screwtape throw humanity a lemon, countless opportunities to make lemonade out of them arise. Good to know that God is doing a roaring lemonade business.
Good on you, Gertrude, to start off this blog.
Pui Ling

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm actually commenting on the Langkawi trip. Since I couldn't find the 'comment' link to it, I decided to write it here instead. Hope you wouldn't mind.

The description on your trip was excellent! It helps me recall my experience back there 3 years ago. However, I felt that your article could be more interesting if you could provide us with a picture of every places that you'd visited. I understand that you are still figuring out with it. It's actually pretty easy.

In the page where you write your postings, there a button next to the spell check, a mountain picture. Just click on it, and you can just browse and upload the pictures from the place where you'd stored. It's similar to attaching a file for email. Hope you could understand what I've written. Looking forward for more posts..

-Regina-